At Horizon Dental, we believe that it’s never too early to start taking care of your teeth. Our practice welcomes patients of all ages and we’re always excited when parents bring their children. We welcome the opportunity to provide dental care in a positive environment, helping parents reinforce good oral hygiene habits at home to encourage a lifetime of oral health. Dr. Azuma and our dental hygienists will ensure that your children’s visits with us are relaxed, comfortable, and a lot of fun with our child-centred approach to dentistry.
Our staff work hard to ensure that every child’s oral health regime is customized to their specific oral care needs. We will factor in their age and developmental abilities and do so in such a way as to have them leave our office actively wanting to start flossing and brushing regularly.
At Horizon Dental, we’re always up to date with the latest techniques and technology in the area of pediatric dental care and we strive to ensure the best care for children. We’ll monitor their dental issues closely and make sure that they have the proper education and instruction to help maintain a healthy smile.
Goals of Pediatric Dentistry
At Horizon Dental, our goals for your children are simple and straightforward:
- To start them off with a positive outlook towards oral care that will last a lifetime
- To support your involvement in your child’s dental care
- A cavity-free smile
- No fear of dental care
Preventive Dental Care
Children’s dental care can — and should — begin as early as your child’s first tooth. The earlier you start, the greater the chance that your child can be cavity-free . We’ll do an evaluation of your child’s dietary history, dental health and cavity risk. Based on this, we’ll suggest a program of oral home care techniques, dietary guidance and fluoride use for your child that will lay the foundation for their oral health. Your child’s oral care program may include cleanings and fluoride treatments, and other preventive treatments like sealants of permanent teeth.
Benefits of Childhood Dental Care
In addition to healthy teeth, practicing good dental hygiene can be help develop a greater respect for overall health and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Good oral health can enhance your child’s overall health and will give them more energy and confidence.
How can you help your child maintain a healthy mouth?
- Start with feeding your child a balanced diet rich in fresh foods, fruits, vegetables. Limit sugary drinks and foods with high amounts of added sugars.
- Brush your child’s teeth twice a day and floss once a day. If they can do this by themselves, supervise their cleaning and help by cleaning any missed spots.
- Use a fluoride-containing toothpaste. If you have questions about the recommended type of toothpaste for your child, we are happy to answer any of your questions.
- Give your child plenty of drinking water. Tap or filtered water is preferred over bottled water.
- Bring your child in for regular cleaning and check-ups
At Horizon Dental, we know that you want the best for your children. By investing the time in tending to their dental health from an early age, you’ll be giving them a gift that will last a lifetime. We can work closely with you to make this happen and start your children off with healthy teeth and gums, and a beautiful smile. Call Horizon Dental at (905) 475-5673 or contact us here .