Wisdom Tooth Removal
Why do you need to remove your wisdom teeth?
In many cases, wisdom teeth grow properly aligned and function like any other tooth. In some cases, they can be misaligned, impacted or associated with cysts and other pathology. When this happens, it can result in damage to adjacent teeth, infection or bone loss.
Who Should Get Their Wisdom Teeth Removed
If you are experiencing the following dental issues related to erupted wisdom teeth, it is recommended that you visit us right away for treatment and extraction:
- Pain or swelling from the back of the mouth
- Recurring infection in the soft tissue behind teeth at the back of the mouth
- Cavities and tooth decay
- Crowding and damage to adjacent permanent teeth
- Gum disease, as evident in inflamed gums
- Sinus issues
Benefits of Preventive Wisdom Tooth Removal
We can confirm the presence of wisdom teeth and their position through x-rays and based on findings, recommend the appropriate treatment.
In some cases, when a wisdom tooth is anticipated to cause problems later in life, it may be advisable to remove this tooth. There can be a number of benefits to preventive extraction:
- Prevent damage to other teeth — Crooked wisdom teeth can make cleaning difficult around back teeth leading to an increased risk of tooth decay and gum disease which can damage the adjacent teeth. Removing wisdom teeth before they can cause damage can prevent future complications.
- Avoid cysts — Cysts can develop in the soft tissue surrounding impacted wisdom teeth, and damage healthy permanent teeth, jaw expansion, and even bone destruction.
- Avoid recurrent infections — When wisdom teeth emerge partially through the gums, bacteria can enter this space below the gums which is difficult to clean. These spots can then be sites where bacteria accumulate, causing gum disease and infections.
The Removal Process
Every wisdom tooth is different, and the removal process is customized to every tooth. After a clinical examination, we are able to recommend a treatment approach required to remove the wisdom teeth and if these are straightforward or complex tooth extractions.
For anxious patients, there are a number of options including calming medication and relaxing nitrous gas (laughing gas). If you are anxious regarding dental treatment and would like to be put to sleep we can assist in referring to a skilled oral surgeon to remove your wisdom teeth.
Wisdom Tooth Removal Aftercare
What to Expect After Having Your Wisdom Teeth Removed
- Light bleeding is common
Bleeding is normal for the first few hours; to control it, make use of the gauze that has been provided, and bite down on it firmly. Contact our office if bleeding persists or if you have any questions or concerns.
- Expect normal swelling
Swelling in the facial area close to the extraction site is normal; to minimize it, use an ice pack for 10 minutes at a time and rest for 20. This can be repeated as necessary.
- Take medications as prescribed
You may have been prescribed pain medications to ease discomfort after the anesthesia wears off. In addition, some patients may already be taking antibiotics to treat infected wisdom tooth sites. Both types of medication should be taken as prescribed.
- Eat softer foods
Vigorous chewing can be uncomfortable post-wisdom tooth removal. Make sure to follow a softer diet for a few days, as well as avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Brush your teeth
Despite having your wisdom teeth removed, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene. You can brush your teeth, but make sure to avoid the extraction site for the first 24 hours; after that, resume gentle brushing, but avoid commercial mouth rinses to prevent irritation.
How Horizon Dental Can Help
At Horizon Dental we recommend state-of-the-art solutions for extraction and continued care of permanent teeth. From relaxing gas to anesthesia all through postoperative care, we are committed to providing excellent care when you’re having your wisdom teeth removed. Our goal is to help you achieve a healthy smile in a welcoming atmosphere, and this process starts with a customized treatment plan that caters to your unique needs.
To learn more about wisdom teeth removal or book your appointment today, call Horizon Dental at 905-475-5673 or contact us here.